“Not Only for ‘Paranormal Romance Girlies’”: A Review of Submerged (A Something in the Water Story) by Ashley Castañón
(self-published, 2025).
ISBN: 979-8-9989790-2-6
First novels are a very big deal, especially when the
Author’s Note at the conclusion explains that it was five years in the making.
That it wasn’t always easy. That there was lots of support and assistance from
family and friends and moments of tear-provoking doubt.
I wrote my first novel 17 years ago. Although I’d already
had four nonfiction books published, I still remember the disappointments. The
struggles. The moments of tear-provoking doubt. And the celebration when the
author’s copies arrived.
I have written fourteen books, fiction and nonfiction,
since, and each one feels like it’s the first.
I briefly met Submerged’s enthusiastic, well-spoken
author several weeks ago at an indie author event in our local town square. She
spent some time looking over my books, selected two, and asked if I wanted to
do a trade. Knowing only a little about what she wrote—Ashley is NOT one of
those authors who goes into way too much detail when asked what their
books are about—I readily agreed.
Submerged is a book that, were I to find it on a
bookshelf, I wouldn’t figure was for me—a White, middle-aged, heterosexual
male. After all, the dedication is to “paranormal romance girlies.” That’s my
daughter and daughter-in-law, who occasionally bring my wife into the fold if
the story “isn’t too spicy.” The introduction also references “book
boyfriends,” of which I think I understand the meaning…
Nevertheless, appreciating Ashley’s enthusiasm and the
courage it took to ask an old, grey-bearded author if he wanted to do a book
trade, I took my read, and this review, as an opportunity to both expand my
horizons and bring a new author to the attention of the readers of my reviews. In
order to ensure I’d succeed, I entered the story of a young Hispanic man with
something to prove who’s suffered repeated losses and the Selkie with whom he
falls in love with an open mind and open heart.
I’m very glad I did.
At times, Submerged reminded me of Splash
meets Pretty Woman (as a screenwriter, I’ve been trained to spontaneously,
organically generate binaries like this to prep for pitches), with the obvious
homages to The Little Mermaid (Hans Christian Anderson much more
than Disney). I was well familiar with the legends and lore of Selkies, having
told a story dozens of times a decade ago about a Selkie on my haunted ghosts
walks and pirate tours on the North Carolina coast.
Ashley brings a lot more to the story of these human–seal
shapeshifters than I had time or reason to. The details are impressive,
although they never bog the narrative down.
The story itself lives and breathes in Magical Realism.
Other supernatural beings, such as Sirens and Orcs, make appearances throughout
the story. No one is overly (or actually even a little) nonplussed by their
existence, which also serves to move the story along. The abuela of the
male protagonist is well-aware of the actual state of things. She also provides
a lot of Mother Wit and Wisdom while serving as our guide to Latinx culture.
By the way, if you don’t know the meaning of abuela (or
the other Spanish words and phrases sprinkled throughout the book) there’s a
handy set of translations at the front.
Woven into this nontraditional Splash-like love story
(with its expected attendant villains) are sociopolitical and economic elements
that I found to be both refreshing and inspiring. Slumlords driving up prices
of rentals is a subject with which many of us are concerned. Greed, human trafficking,
domestic abuse, and transphobia also undergird the story to varying degrees,
and many of the women in the story, who are rightfully distrustful of men due
to physical and emotional trauma visited upon them and their friends and family,
unapologetically seize the stage with forceful warnings aimed at the male
protagonist. That wasn’t easy for this middle-aged, White, heterosexual male to
encounter. My heart often went out to Caspian (a nod to the prince in CS Lewis’s
Chronicles of Narnia?), as the Selkie’s girl-gang put him through his
paces and kept him on his toes.
It’s not all serious social issues, though. There’s also
plenty of food, fashion, fun, and frolicking. And just a touch of “spicy.”
Submerged has plenty of mystery boxes and reveals,
and I found myself reacting like Caspian’s abuela—which makes total
sense knowing what I know of the serendipities, happenstances, and symmetries that
are always operating in the background IRL (thank you to my Gen Z child Jo for
teaching me this shorthand. IYKYK).
For a first-time novelist, Ashley Castañón demonstrates a
strong talent for story structure, pacing, and character. These feel like
people she knows, in one form or another, and they are easy to root for—or
against, as the given circumstances demand.
I mentioned that Ashley selected two of my books.
Along with Submerged, I also received the sequel.
I look forward to making time in late fall/early winter to
see how Ashley progressed as a novelist and what happens next in the “A Something
in the Water Story” universe.

Comments